Five HAA Racers Finish Marathon

Nineteen year-old Shigeki Tanaka of Japan, who has been working out at the Harvard Stadium with two of his countrymen for the past two weeks, yesterday won the B.A.A. Marathon in the near record time of 2.27:45. A little over 47 minutes later and after 43 other runners had crossed the finish line, Steve Sharp, running under the colors of the H.A.A., raced the final 385 yards down Exeter Street to finish first among the Harvard contingent.

Staggering in three men behind Sharp was Max Emmert of the Business School. Emmert, Sharp, and Al Master, who finished 61st, ran side-by-side the first half of the race. The three received great ovations when they chugged past Wellesley, but Master, with the inspiration gone, dropped back around the 12-mile mark.

Master, who said he took it nice and easy all the way, walked most of the last few miles. Just as he got within sight of the finish line, Dave Smith, who had run the body of the race well behind Master, rushed past him to edge him out for third highest Harvard man. Smith finished 59th.

Bob Swett wound up 80th to complete the list of Harvard finishers.