Ward Hurls Two-Hitter As Nine Defeats BU, 6-0

Terriers Commit 5 Errors in 8th Inning, Allow Crimson to Put 5 Men Across Plate

By Edward J. Coughlin

A two-hitter by sophomore Bob Ward and five Terrier errors in the eighth inning gave the Crimson varsity a 6 to 0 win over Boston University in the local baseball opener Wednesday at Soldiers Field.

B.U. third baseman Sol Sherman and pinch hitter George Shultz spoiled Ward's otherwise perfect varsity debut with leadoff singles in the third and ninth, respectively. But Ward never found himself in serious trouble, striking out seven men over the route. The tall right-hander was most effective in the early innings, striking out the side in the top half of the third. Reliable fielding kept him out of difficulty late in the game.

Aside from Charlie Walsh's high fly in the second that went for a double when the Terrier second baseman lost it in the wind and a two-out single to left by Johnny White in the fifth, B.U. pitcher Joe Kowalski kept the bases comfortably clear until the sixth.

Johnson Singled, Scored

In the bottom half of this inning Walsh led off with a walk. Russ Johnson then singled him to second, but Walsh was doubled off second when Kevin Reilly hit a double-play ball down the first base line.

Tom Cavanaugh then hit a hard-to-handle grounder that went through Terrier third baseman Jim Henlay for an error, scoring Johnson. In the seventh Ralph Robinson singled with one away and went to second on another error by Henley. But White and Bennie Akillian popped out to third base.

The Crimson came close to batting around when B.U. fell apart defensively in the bottom of the eighth. Walsh again started it off with a walk. Johnson tried to sacrifice but wound up on second when Kowalski threw the ball past the first baseman. Walsh scored on the error.

Reilly reached first and Johnson scored on an error by the Terrier shortstop. Then B.U. catcher Bob Somers threw away the ball on Tom Cavanaugh's sacrifice, but Ward hit to the pitcher who threw Reilly out at home. Cavanaugh strolled home with the fourth run a few minutes later on a passed ball.

Robinson Clears Bases

With two away right fielder Ralph Robinson came to bat and pulled the ball into right field. The fielder let the ball through him, and when the ball finally reached the infield, the third baseman bobbled it long enough for Ward and Robinson to finish rounding the bases for the final runs.

Ward, who allowed several long blows that were caught by outfielders, bore down in the ninth after Shultz's single to make Kowalski and Henley hit into forceouts at second and struck out right fielder John Poce to end the game. HARVARD   ab  r  h  po  a  e Foynes, cf  3  0  0  3  0  0 Robinson, rf  4  1  2  1  0  0 White, ss  5  0  1  2  5  0 Akillian, lf  3  0  0  1  0  0 Walsh, c  2  1  1  6  1  0 Johnson, 1b  2  2  1  9  1  0 Reilly, 3b  4  0  0  0  2  0 Cavanaugh, 2b  2  1  0  5  2  1 Ward, p  4  1  0  0  3  0 Totals  29  6  5  27  14  1