Ex-Yalie Tells 900 In Girls' Colleges To Remain 'Pure'

By Richard W. Edelman

Over nine hundred girls at Vassar, Smith, and Wellesley last week received pamphlets in the mail warning them to avoid bi-sexual reproduction and to conceive a perfect child through "cultivating a pure heart."

Each five-page pamphlet, printed in Bulldog blue, is accompanied by a letter signed "I am a Yale man and your very sincere friend, Granville Gates."

Reached yesterday at his Washington, D. C. boarding house, Gates said that he also signed himself "The Great Emancipator of Women" after Lincoln "who wanted to save the Union." He added, "Girls are not heavy thinkers, so I tried to make the booklet as interesting as possible. That's why I call it 'Life Is Not What You Think It Is.'"

Suggests Men Abstain

For men, Gates recommends sexual abstention. "There is only one good reason why a man should assume the care of a woman--to be the guardian, guarantor and true conservator of his dear mate's purity of heart, protecting her from the world of which he is the representative."

The 61-year-old chemist is married and has three children. The Washington School of Plastics now employs him as an instructor. He got his degree from Yale's Sheffield Scientific School in 1912, six years after the renowned George Frederick Gundelfinger.

Gundelfinger keeps flooding the Yale Station post office boxes with "don of iniquity" pamphlets. He described his old alma mater as a swamp of vice and landed in jail in 1940. Gates said he has never heard of Gundelfinger.

The Great Emancipator explained that the seeds for his sexual theory of perfect conception through mental purity came from his mother, who had four children. He has taken 30 years to develop it. Gates noted that what his theory needs to get it going is a catalyst--belief by only a small percentage of women.

Lays World Crisis to Sex

"The reason why we are having such a hell of a time here on earth," according to Gates, "is bi-sexual reproduction." He includes the present world crisis in this condemnation.

His pamphlet begins: "Girls, you lovely creatures, how would you like to stay young and filled with the joy of living with the perfect man of your dreams forever? Of course you would . . . Granville Gates believes nothing is too good for the girls."

"But they obviously are not getting the best out of life," he continues. "So he is going to prove to them that he is their best living friend by telling them in simple language how they can get the best out of life."

Any woman who devotes herself to pure and absolute love of God may give birth to a perfect man, a Christ, son of God alone and not of God and man, Gates declares. To deny this, he says, would be to argue that God "plays favorites" in giving this opportunity only to the Virgin Mary.

At the end of the pamphlet, Gates suggests that as a starter towards understanding his theory, girls may "but my book, which explains everything in much greater detail, or become an agent for it at a generous commission."

Roger W. Babson, founder of the Babson Institute, is quoted on the back of the pamphlet as saying, "Frankly, I think you have a good idea, namely, that the future of mankind depends primarily on the women." William Allen White, the famous editor, is quoted, "You state a beautiful ideal and one which must be realizable if the race goes much further.