Law School 'Survives' First Year Of Women With Few Adjustments

'Portias' Enter Routine Easily; Admissions Office Indicates Same Number Due Next Year

When the Law School finally decided to admit women in 1949, the anti-feminists who opposed the move warned darkly, "Just wait and see." The implication was that women would be a disrupting influence and that the Law School would suffer.

Today, with the bulk of their first year behind them, the 14 women "pioneers" seem to have refuted the gloomy forecasts. Most objective observes agree that the Harvard Law School has gone quietly co-ed--and likes it.

The striking thing about the first year is how well the girls have fitted into the routine. They study in the libraries, eat in the Graduate Center, take an active part in classroom discussions and join the various clubs; in short, they have behaved the same as any other first year law student. And no one seems to take particular note of them any more. The joking which accompanied their arrival has long since stopped.

Men Seem Unaffected

"The men students don't dress any better or act any differently; they still put their feet on the desks, and I still tell the same jokes, in spite of the girls," is the way Warren A. Seavey '02, Bussy Professor of Law, sums up the situation. Most of the other professors were inclined to agree, although one did remark that the girls have had an appreciable affect in brightening up class rooms.

Despite this outward appearance of complete orientation, the girls themselves admit feeling somewhat awkward even after seven months in school. "Although the remarks have stopped," said Charlotte Horwood of Cambridge, "I still feel that a lot of second and third year men haven't accepted us yet. But the first year men have bent over backwards to make things easier," she added.

Ruth Marshall felt somewhat differently about the situation. "The first year men are quite shy and seem to stay away," she remarked. "It's a different story with the upper two classes. They've accepted us quite readily."

Less Confusing Now

Both girls agreed, however, that things were becoming less confusing with each passing month. Results of the Ames competition indicate that they are catching on slightly better than their first year male counterparts. Almost all girls won at least one of their two cases, while a surprising number were able to win both. Most of the girls are continuing in Ames competition, even though some have dropped out after their first case.

Several male students have even expressed the worry that girls might raise the curve by getting high marks. There may be good reason for concern along this line, since several girls in next year's group of applicants scored exceptionally high on the entrance apptitude test.

The admissions department of the Law School expects to accept about the same number of girls this year as last. Dean Livingston Hall, summing up the admissions outlook, said, "We expect applications from women will stay pretty much on the same level for the next few years. We're perfectly happy with the situation."