Baldwin Scores 5, Leads Lacrosse Team to 8-7 Win Over Springfield

By Hiller B. Zobel

SPRINGFIELD, April 28--Attackman Moe Baldwin scored his fifth goal of the game with two minutes to play to give the varsity lacrosse team an 8 to 7 victory over a tough Springfield ten on Pratt Field here today.

Baldwin's tally, a crisp angle drive, came at 12:47 of the last period, and saved the favored Crimson from a tie or possible defeat. After trailing, 1 to 0, for most of the first period, the visitors tied the count on a goal by Captain Rick Hudner and then tallied three to lead, 4 to 2, at the half.

Gymnast Captain Scores

With the start of the third period, the Crimson seemed to ease up slightly, and the Indians scored twice to tie. Captain Pat Patterson personally punched in the trying goal, after carrying the ball through most of the Crimson defense.

Springfield regained the lead at 7:45 of the frame, when lax Crimson back-checking allowed a fast break, with Skip Knuttgen scoring on a pass from Patterson.

Within a minute, Baldwin, who didn't even start the game, moved around from behind the goal and caged the ball from a hard angle. But the Crimson defense still could not solve the Indian attack pattern, and Patterson scored at 11:05 to give Springfield the lead again, 6 to 5. Baldwin re-tied the score half a minute later, from a goal month scrimmage.

The Gymnasts went ahead for the last time on Don Bond's tricky shot at 6:49 of the fourth period. Through the Crimson defense tightened considerably thereafter, the attack could not get started.

At 12:10, Hudner got the ball to the right of the Gymnasts' cage, maneuvered cleverly to draw off the defense, and whipped a pass to midfielder Pete Brooke, alone in the goal mouth. Goalie Graham Vinzant had no chance on Brooke's quick flip, which tied the score for the fifth time.

In a rough game, the Yardling lacrosse team beat Tabor Academy, 11 to 9, away Saturday. Willie Kurth got five assists and Ed Curtis three goals and two assists to lead the Yardling scoring