Hershey Says Draft Quotas Will Decrease

Conscription Will Remain Light For Several Months, Mount In 1953 Replacement Drive

The nation is entering a period in which Selective Service needs should be relatively light, Major General Lewis B. Hershey said last night.

"We are in a soft period of man-power needs, much more so than two years from now, when draft replacements start," Hershey noted. June draft calls will be particularly low, he said, and the light calls are likely to last for several months.

Speaking along with Hershey on a radio program called "Youth and the Draft," William Turnbull, vice-president of the Educational Testing Service, said that college men who want to take the first of the Selective Service's attitude tests must got applications to E. T. S. immediately.

Initial Response Slow

The first test is May 26. Turnbull stated that students slow in applying would probably have to take the June 16 or June 30 tests.

Over 140,000 applications for the test have been received at the Princeton, N.J., testing center so far, Turnbull said. More were expected in the initial rush but E. T. S. is convinced that over 500,000 will eventually apply.

Tickets of admission, Turnbull said, are mailed out within three to five days of receipt of applications.

In a defense of the deferment by test system, Hershey said deferring bright college students is no more discriminatory than is rejection of some men as 4-F's, or the commissioning of some servicemen as officers.