Trackmen Take 13 Firsts, Whip Crusaders, Terriers

By Michael J. Halberstam

Holy Cross and B. U. fell by the way side Saturday as the Crimson track team gathered an easy win in a triangular meet at the Stadium Crimson runners, weight men, and jumpers won 13 of 16 first places in accumulating 104 1/2 points. B. U. placed second with 48, and Holy Cross lagged behind with 20 1/2.

Al Wilson once again gained top individual honors. The new holder of the Harvard discus title won the discus and the shotput and took second in the hammer. Another double winner was Charlie Durakis, who captured the high and low hurdle events. Sophomore Rob Twitchell placed second to Durakis each time.

The closest race of the day was the quarter mile run, in which Ed Grutzner of the Crimson fought off a stretch drive by Don Kelley of Holy Cross. John Packard made up 40 yards to give the Crimson mile relay team the nod over B. U.'s quartet.

Berman Coasts in 880

Rennie Berman drove to the head of the field in the 880 right at the gun, kept his lead all the way, and sped home in 1:59.2. Dick Weiskopf placed first in the 100-yard dash, but in the 220 Dud O'Leary of B. U. came in ahead of Gurtzner with Weiskopf third.

Dave Gregory stayed behind Al Roberts of the Terriers for seven laps, and moved ahead on the last to win the two-mile run in the slow time of 9:59.6. Dick Fitzgerald of B. U. took the mile as the varsity's Dave Cairns placed third.

The Crimson won six of the seven field events. Dick Barwise in the high jump, Bob Mello in the pole vault, Captain Charlie Keith in the javelin, and Hal Geick in the broad jump all captured firsts.

A clean sweep of the 880-yard run--the last event of the meet--gave the freshman track team victory at Exeter Saturday, 64 to 67. John Richards, Phil Meyers and Al Joyce finished in that order.