Education Group Asks to Construct New FM Station

An FM transmitter located on University property will broadcast educational programs and full concerts of the Boston Symphony next fall if a construction permit is granted to the Lowell Institute Cooperative Broadcasting Council by the Federal Communication Commission.

Routine acceptance by F.C.C. is expected by the Council, a non-profit educational group of six local colleges, including Harvard. The commercial 20,000-watt station will be set up on the site of the University's Blue Hills meteological observatory under plans drawn up by University and M.I.T. engineers.

To Carry Speakers

In addition to the 'live' symphony broadcasts, the station will carry "addresses by national and international figures speaking at the universities, important public discussions, great lectures from the classrooms, full-length performances of good plays, and authoritative and comprehensive interpretation of news and events by faculty specialists," according to Council Trustee Henry B. Cabot '17, former University Overseer.

The Blue Hills site is the highest point in eastern Massachusetts, and thus the station will be able to cover a 65-mile radius. Central studios and offices will be in Symphony Hall, while cooperating colleges and universities will house auxiliary studios.

The F.C.C., on advice of one of its officials, has held some FM channels open for non-profit educational institutions, after granting others to regular commercial stations.

In announcing the plans Cabot did not say when he expected notification of F.C.C. approval.