Committee Will Submit Advising Plans Tonight

Committee Recommends Young Graduates as Advisers, Calls For More Proctorial Help

Freshman advising at the College is not basically unsound concludes the Student Council committee which will submit its report at the Council's last meeting of the year tonight. The three-man committee does, however, make seven suggestions for the Council's approval.

Chief among the proposed reforms are methods to improve the quality of present advisers and to give more advising power to proctors.

All the suggestions are directed toward remedying what the committee calls the two main inadequacies of the existing system: advisers' lack of knowledge about the College and their advisees.

Using recent graduates of the College, cutting down the size of the board of advisers, and keeping closer check on the work of each adviser are recommended to produce better advisers. All this would tend to eliminate the poorer men who, according to he report, which is based on interviews and a recent poll, cause most of the dissatisfaction.

Increase Proctors' Power

To make advising more personal the group urges increasing proctor's power in this field by giving them an annual entertainment fund, encouraging them to consult information about the backgrounds of their freshmen, and increasing the number of proctors.

The group further suggests that whenever possible section men who are advisers be assigned freshmen who are in their sections, that more information be given to advisers on courses, that undergraduate advising be developed as a supplement to faculty work in the field, and that advisers and advisees meet at least six times a year.

The committee is headed by Council member Richard L. Bushman '53. The other members of the group are Harold L. Endlich '53 and David L. Rose '53.