College Students Given Deferment Until August 20

Drafting of college students was ordered postponed yesterday until the results of the forthcoming aptitude tests or evidence of scholastic standing have reached the draft boards.

No inductions, however, will be postponed beyond August 20, Selective Service headquarters also announced.

State officials were reminded of earlier instructions to put off induction of college and high school students for 30 days after the end of the academic year to enable them to find essential jobs or enlist.

Selective Service Director Lewis B. Hershey last January granted a one-month postponement from induction for the 25,000 students then graduating from college, in order to give them a chance to find jobs in a "critical occupation in essential industry." Some 2,500 took advantage of this; the rest were drafted.

The first aptitude tests will be given a week from the Saturday. The bulk of the college students will take the exams them. The testing service was forced to shift many students to M.I.T. for the first test, due to an overflow of applications. The three other tests will be given June 16, June 30, and July 12.