Ten Loses Its Sparkle, Wins Anyhow, 8-5

The champions of the New England Lacrosse League played on the Business School Field yesterday, but, for the most part, you wouldn't have known it.

True, the Crimson stretched its win streak to eight, beating Now Hampshire, 8 to 5. The varsity, however, won sloppily, allowing the Wildcats a one-goal lead, then almost losing an advantage of its own.

The near-90-degree temperature must take much of the blame for the messy play. But New Hampshire played in the same heat, and time and again Wildcat attackmen and midfielders were able to elude and outrun would-be defenders.

Often goalie Dick Thomas was completely open: only a series of his brilliant quick saves enabled the Crimson to stymie a fourth period Wildcat drive, which had narrowed the score to 7 to 5. Jayu Byrne, about the only defenseman to play his usual game, also helped out at this point.

Captain Rick Hudner contributed a goal and four assists, and midfielder Spider Graham counted twice to lead the scoring. But the pretiest goal of the day was the Crimson's first.

Attackman Ned Yost bumped the ball away from a New Hampshire defenseman and shoveled it to Bill Plissner. Plissner cut down the sideline, them fed a sharp lead to Yost, who put a swift drive into the net.