2 Crimson Crews Win on Charles; 150s Fare Poorly

Some 20 events were rowed on the Charles Saturday, Crimson crews entered six and emerged with two firsts and a scattering of other positions.

The third varsity entered a six crew American Rowing Association race in which the Crimson beat out La Salle and Florida Southern.

The freshman second boat also earned a first in an American Henley Association event.

Lightweight crews in the E.A.R.C. regatta fared much less well. The varsity trailed Penn and Yale in the main event. The J.V.'s did a little better by placing second to the Elis. Princeton was in the show position.

A lightweight Crimson freshman boat place fourth behind Yale, Princeton, and Cornell.

In the varsity event, Penn was a comfortable length ahead and pulling away with Yale and the Crimson battling for second. The Elis bested the Crimson by half a length.

All events were rowed over the Henley distance of a mile and five-sixteenths.

When the Princeton 150-pound varsity shell neared the quarter mile mark, the number two man, Jim Neff, caught a crab and was catapulted out of his seat into the Charles. The Tigers managed to limp in sixth ahead of Cornell, nonetheless.