Elis Beat Crimson in EARC Sprints

Varsity Falls Short in Finish; J.V. Wins Easily and Enables Crews to Retain Rowe Cup

Harvard crew racing, which has always seemed as sure a thing as a share of A.T. & T., took another dip Saturday when Yale beat the Crimson by a little more than half a length and annexed the unofficial Eastern rowing championship.

Once again the varsity failed to show the potentialities observes have noted during practice time trials. If rowed smoothly and well up to the last two minutes of the race when, perhaps because of nervousness, its catching began to go awry and Yale illched its lead.

Tom Bolles' crews managed to hang on to the Rowe Cup once again, however, because the varsity's second, and the J.V.'s victory over Cornell and Princeton piled up 14 points, four more than Yale earned for its first place. The Rowe Cup goes to the college which has the best over-all record for events in the regatta.

Yale, in winning the varsity event, clocked 6:18.4 to the Crimson's 6:20.6. Princeton, which snatched the Compton Cup from the varsity two weeks age lengths behind with a 6:28.4. It was the first time on record that the Big Three colleges were also the first three in the E.A.R.C. sprints.

Earlier in the day, the varsity had rowed the same 2000 meter course in 6:32.8 to beat Navy by a length in a qualifying heat. The oarsmen managed to defeat the Sailors without undue effort and excitement.

In the varsity final, the Crimson grabbed a lead of a few feet and rowed efficiently at about a 82, Approximately midway through the course, the Elis put in a big ten and pulled even. Then they put their stroke slightly higher than the Crimson's and pushed gradually to a slight lead.

When Yale got a half length load with about a quarter mile to go Crimson stroke Louis McCagg raised his beat to about 34, but Yale went up 50 36. Both crews finished at 37 1/2. The talent of last year's crew to sprint and still row smoothly and powerfully seemed to be missing.

The J.V.'s had their victory Urinally on the record after a quavier of a mile, it pulled away easily and left Cornell and Princeton behind, straggling for second place. The Big Red won.