Teachers May Apply for '51 Study Grants

Ford's Education Fund Offers Full Salary Fellowships; Five From University May Apply

Five present or prospective faculty members may have an opportunity of free study next year.

The Fund for the Advancement of Education established last month by a Ford Foundation, is offering a total $52,000,000 in fellowships for men and women who will be undergraduate in doctors in 1952-53. Harvard may submit maximum of five applications.

Stipends will be equal to 1951-52 teachers salaries, plus amounts necessary for travel within the United States, and union wherever possible.

Institutions submitting applications post guarantee to employ the applicants 1952-53, after the year of study. An applicant should not contact the institution or institutions at which he wishes to study under the program until after the awards are made.

The fellowship program is administer by a committee of 16 college and university presidents and deans. Dean Kepper of the School of Education is the executive secretary of the committee.

According to a statement released by committee, the program is designed "increase the competence" of younger instructors while "reduced the shock of mobilization to college in university faculties."

The committee has stated that it presents younger applicants, but it has not to any limits on age or rank it hopes that vacancies created next year by the fellowship will be filled by men and women uncertain of employment for 1951-52.

The program is nationwide, with a maximum of 500 fellowships. The maximum member of applications from each institution was decided by the size of the undergraduate body.

June 5 is the deadline for institutions submit applications. Prospective appearance must see their department chairman for information concerning application.

Each applicant must submit a statement of not more than 1500 words explained what he proposes 'to do if awarded fellowship.