University Plans to Award Austin Honorary Doctorate

Expected to Deliver Speech in Afternoon

Warren A. Austin, chief delegate of the United States to the United Nations, will receive an honorary degree at Commencement Exercises, June 21, it was reported yesterday.

The 70-year-old diplomat will be awarded the University's highest honorary degree, that of Doctor of Laws, for his leadership in the United Nations in the behalf of world peace. Secretary of State Dean G. Acheson, LL.B. '18, received the same degree last year.

Austin has previously received honorary degrees from Columbia and Dartmouth, but the Harvard award will be his first from one of the Big Three.

Practiced In Vermont

The former Vermont Senator graduated from the University of Vermont with a Ph.B. in 1899. Although he practiced law in Vermont prior to his political career, Austin was never enrolled in a law school. He studied law with a Vermont law firm, and was admitted to the Vermont bar in 1902.

Austin first held political office as mayor of St. Albans, Vermont, in 1909. He was elected to the Senate in 1931, and held his seat through 1948, when he was appointed to the United Nations.