Bicycles Provide Inexperience Way To View Environs

A bicycle trip is one of the best ways of satisfying the idle curiosity everyone has about his environs. The cyclist can see things and places in Boston and Cambridge that the driver overlooks, and he can get a lot closer to these things and places.

Of a balmy afternoon, the cyclist can see the old-world North End of Boston, and historic churches and churchyards; or he can gad about the local colleges, such as MIT, Boston College, and Simmons. The U. S. Frigate Constitution--"Old Ironsides"--is open to the public gaze in the Boston Navy Yard.

New Vistas

Saturdays open up larger vistas: you can follow Paul Revere's routh around Concord and Lexington, with a side trip to the "rude bridge that arched the food." Or you can drop in on the domain of Henry D. Thoreau, 1837, at Walden Pond and stay for a drip. Or, two bucks will get you a Youth Hostel Card that will make a weekend trip to Gloucester or the Cape a cinch.

The important things to remember are: be sure you have a lightweight three-speed bike to negative the rolling New England countryside. Rental is no problem in Cambridge.