Ten Overcomes Williams to Get Top Spot in NE League

By Bayley F. Mason

One of the finest Harvard lacrosse teams of all time strengthened its potent bid for the New England League lacrosse championship by beating Williams, 11 to 6, Saturday on the New Playing Field for the first time since the war. This victory moved the Crimson into first place in the New England League.

Bruce Munro's ten won its sixth straight victory (nine in 11 starts) with an impressive exhibition of team power and coordination. Munro remarked after the game that "you can use any adjectives you want." He added that he only hoped the win would give the team the confidence to carry it through the Dartmouth and Yale games.

Clark Excels

It was primarily a team victory, but the game had its share of individual stars. Goalie Syd Clark played the best contest of his career, making six crucial saves in the tight first period and performing almost flawlessly on his clears. Captain Rick Hudner played his usual masterful play-making game, picking up six assists and one goal for his 60-minute stint on the attack.

Sophomore midfielder Ron Huebsch turned the hat-trick again despite a gimpy leg.

'54 Loses

Superb goal-tending by Williams' All New England goalie Rod Stark limited the Yardling lacrosse team to four goals as the Ephmen crushed the freshmen, 7 to 4, in a penalty-ridden game on the New Playing Field Saturday.

First period: Huebsch (Hudner), 1:40; Harrison (Day) (W), 5:13; Plissner (Hudner), 12:00.

Second period: Waring (Hudner), 1:28; Waring (Kelly), 2:08; Huebsch (unassisted), 2:40; Day (Whittier) (W), 5:40; Kelly (Hudner), 14:57.

Third period: Huebsch (Hudner), 0:27; Harrison (McWilliams) (W), 6:15; McWilliams (W) (unassisted), 6:42; Post (Plissner), 12:02; Thayer, (Hudner) 14:17.

Fourth period: Harrison (unassisted) (W), 1:53; Day (W) (unassisted), 12:06; Hudner (Baldwin), 12:58; Kelly (Baldwin), 13:55.