Varsity, Yard Track Teams Trounce Big Green Squads

Only Yale is left for the varsity track team to conquer after the Crimson won its fourth straight meet of the spring Saturday, defeating Dartmouth, 89 to 51. The local freshmen also romped to victory over the Stadium greensward.

The Big Green had a good field events squad--good enough to place second behind a Crimson jumper or thrower in every event except one. The exception was the shot put, in which Al Wilson took first place, Jerry Kanter second, and Bobby Ray third. Wilson's heave travelled 48 feet, one inch.

Dick Barwise won the high jump when Dartmouth's highly-considered Nela Ehinger failed to clear six feet, two inches. Bob Mello outlasted Bob Lawwill to win the pole vault with an effort of 12 and one-half feet. Bob Pennell was third in the high jump, Sam Paschal in the vault.

Hal Geick leaped 22 feet, four inches to place first in the broad jump ahead of the Green's Al Jackson. Mello was third. Wilson tossed the discus 159 feet, eight inches to win that event with Phil Pratt third. Charlie Keith's throw of 204 feet, eight and three quarters inches won the javelin. A heave of 159 feet, one and three-quarters inches got hammer honors for Bob Curran, while Eric Stromsted picked up third.

Jaakko Cagey

Crimson Coach Jaakko Mikkola cagily entered his star middle-distance man Ronnie Berman in the quarter mile and mile relay, keeping him out of the 880. Boxed in badly at the start of the 440, Berman ran from side to side for some time, finally working his way into third place behind teammate Ed Grutzner, whose winning time was 49.5, and Green captain Dave Krivitsky.

Dartmouth's strong mile relay squad fumbled its chance to beat the Crimson team of Berman, Tom McGrath, John Packard, and Grutzner by inept passing of the baton. The Crimson's time of 3:21.4 was a meet record. In the 880 Bill Montague of the Crimson came in behind Sam Daniell of the Indians despite Dave Cairns' first-lap effort to set too fast a pace for Daniell.

Earlier in the day Cairns had gone ahead in the third lap of the mile to win in 4:32.8. Jim Downey was second. The Crimson swept the two-mile run as Dave Gregory came in first in 9:59.6 with Steve Sharp second and Paul Judy third.

Pete McCreary of the visitors won both the high and low hurdles, setting a meet record of 14.6 in the former.