College Professors Dodge Issue Of Premarital Sexual Relations

The question of premarital sexual relations drew evasive answers from six College professors asked to comment yesterday on a new book which sanctions sex relations among older adolescents.

The author Dr. Marynia F. Farnham, spoke at a Law School Forum last year. Herself a mother of a teen-age daughter, Dr. Farnham states in her now book, "The Adolescent": "Uncomfortable as the idea may be, the author believes that there is an irreversible tread in the direction of sexual relations prior to marriage." She goes on to say that "there is no sign that there is any large demand for any change."

Dr. Le Moyne White, instructor in Mental Health in the School of Public Health, commented that this was a problem which was "on the minds of all Americans from the age of three up. If Harvard and Radcliffe have just discovered it now, they have discovered it late More power to them."

Yale's Professor George P. Murdock stated that he was "glad the subject was up for frank consideration." Few other societies, he said, forbid extra-marital intercourse as we do.

Earnest A. Booton, professor of Anthropology, declined to cerement on the book, saying "This is an issue for the men in Social Relations."

No member of the Social Relations Department was anxious to be quoted on the issue. Henry A. Murray '15, lecturer on Clinical Psychology, said, "This is just one of those preposterous generalizations which make fine conversation if we all sit around and drink bourbon."

The rest echoed the sentiments of Clyde K. Kluckhohn professor of Anthropology, who said, "I really won't get into this one."