3,000 Students Will Receive Degrees at Commencement

The University will award 3,000 degrees Thursday, June 21, when it will hold its 300th Commencement. More than 5,000 alumni are expected to join College and Graduate students in the five-day festivities, according to the schedule released yesterday.

President Conant will begin Commencement activities Sunday afternoon with his sermon at the Baccalaureate Service. This is scheduled for 3:30 p.m. in Memorial Church.

PBK Exercises

An oration by Ralph Barton Perry '29, Edgar Pierce Professor of Philosophy, emeritus, will open the Phi Beta Kappa literary exercise at 11 a.m. Monday in Sanders Theater. Monday night will find seniors in the Eliot House Courtyard for the Senior Spread for which a formal dance and midnight supper have been planned.

Class Day exercises will take place Tuesday afternoon in Sever Quadrangle. In the evening seniors and their dates will take a moonlight cruise around Boston Harbor on the S.S. Boston Belle.

Tuesday evening the Harvard Foundation for Advanced Study and Research will hold its dinner at Dunster House. A. Baird Hastings '39, Hamilton Kuhn Professor of Biological Chemistry, will be the main speaker.

Alumni and the senior class will parade to Soldiers Field Wednesday afternoon for the annual Harvard-Yale baseball game, scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Following the game, an informal buffet supper and an outdoor dance will be held in Eliot House courtyard. A Band and Glee Club concert will also be given Wednesday evening.

Foundation Luncheon

President Conant will speak at a luncheon of the Harvard Foundation and the Law School Alumni Association in the Graduate Yard near Harkness Commons. The graduate schools will hold open house after the luncheon from 4 to 6 p.m.

According to the schedule, Seniors will attend an early chapel service Thursday morning, before Commencement ceremonies start. Governor Dever and an escort of mounted troops arrive to open the services, which will begin at 10 a.m. in the Tercentenary Theatre in the Yard.

After degrees are awarded, Alumni will be served a buffet luncheon in the Yard, while the class of '51 returns to the Houses to receive diplomas. In the afternoon President Conant and Governor Dover will speak at an Alumni Association meeting. Three top honorary degree winners make their speeches at this time.

The annual Harvard-Yale Regatta at New London will be held Friday.