College Gifts Lower in 1951

Recent gifts to the University have totaled substantially less than last year during the same period, it was learned yesterday.

Donations of $1,310,303.15 were received during the months of January, February and March, a sum almost two million lower than the $3,292,480 granted in the first three months of 1950. Figures were taken from University announcements.

Money given for endowment amounted to $451,376.92, or roughly half the amount granted for current use, $858,926,23. Last year the figures for the same period were, $2,237,121.66 for endowment and $1,055,468.82 for immediate use.

Several large gifts went to the Business School. J. P. Stevens & Co., Inc. donated $25,000 to establish a John Peters Stevens Memorial Fund to provide financial aid for students, while the Grant Foundation, Inc, gave $27,000 for scholarships in the Business School and for research in the School of Public Health.

A number of sizable donations were also received for medical research. The Association for the Aid of Crippled Children granted $39,261 for research in the School of Public Health and the Commonwealth Fund gave $29,341.86 for studies in medicine and Public Health.

The Carnegie Corporation of new York donated $35,500 for research on Southeast Asia according to the announcement.