Yale Pounds Six Crimson Pitchers In 22-8 Win; Walsh Elected Captain

MVP, Batting Awards Go to Reilly, Foynes

By Edward J. Coughlin

Six Crimson pitchers, the last two of whom serve regularly as a third string catcher and a shortstop, were like picket fences against a landslide yesterday afternoon, as Yale trampled Harvard, 22 to 8, before 5,500 disappointed alumni and guests.

Immediately after the "contest," catcher Charles Sarto Walsh, Jr. of West Medford was elected captain of the varsity nine for the 1952 season. Third baseman Kevin Patrick Reilly of West Roxbury and Adams House received the Wingate Trophy as the team's most valuable player, while center fielder Edward Nixon Foynes of Quincy and Dudley Hall won the Wendell Bat, emblem of Harvard batting supremacy.

At the same time, the Yale team chose batting ace Eddie McHugh to lead the 1952 squad.

Ace Crimson pitcher Bob Ward was totally without control in the nightmarish first inning, and his successor, John Donelan, was also hard pressed. The Elis ran up eight runs on four hits in the top half of the first, and never slowed down.

Yale ran up only 15 hits to Harvard's 12, but the six men on the mound for the Crimson collectively gave up 12 walks and hit four Eli batters. Stuffy McInnis went through his entire staff, except for Rufe Webb, who pitched Tuesday against Princeton. Then the coach was forced to throw in catcher Bill Fitzpatrick, who has pitched only school and legion ball, and finally to pull Captain Johnny White in from the shortstop position.

Right-hander John Little went the distance for the Blue nine. Little was far from great, but held fantastically large leads from the start and was never forced to bear down. The Crimson scored three runs in the second on triples by Walsh and Donelan and singles by Russ Johnson and Reilly, and added three in the fourth on three walks and Ralph Robinson's single off the first baseman's glove.

Safe hits by Foynes and Robinson in the sixth and by Walt Greeley and Robinson in the eighth chased in the seventh and eighth Crimson runs.

Meanwhile, however, Yale lashed five Harvard pitchers for 19 runs in the first four innings, batting around in three of the four. Ward was totally ineffective against the Elis once again, letting in five runs by hitting two batters, walking two and giving up a pair of singles.

Donelan, who had succeeded in rescuing Ward in New Haven two days earlier, came in with Elis on first and third and gave up two more solid singles before retiring the side. Donelan pitched well in the second inning, but Paul Gormley's double drove Bob Brown in from first for the technically winning score.

After Donelan had been forced to race around the bases in the last of the second to score on his triple and a bobbled relay by left fielder Jim Brown, he complained of feeling ill and was lifted for sophomore Luke Lockwood Lockwood gave up a single and a walk to the first two Yale batters in the five-run third and was replaced immediately by George Emmons.

Emmons retired one batter, allowed two walks, was reached for a pair of line drive singles, and went back to the dugout.

Fitzpatrick retired the side, but lost control in the following inning to hit two Elis in succession, and McInnis humanely lifted him. Shortstop Art Dowd then hit White's fourth pitch for a grand slam home run. Three walks and a single to left in the sixth handed the Blue its final three runs. HARVARD (8)   ab  r  h  po  a  e Foynes, cf  5  0  1  4  0  0 Robinson, rf  4  0  3  1  0  0 White, ss, p  5  0  1  0  3  0 Akillian, lf  5  0  0  4  0  0 Walsh, c  2  2  2  0  1  0 aRosenau  0  0  0  0  0  0 Wade, c  2  0  0  2  0  1 bWise  1  0  0  0  0  0 Johnson, 1b  3  2  2  10  1  1 Reilly, 3b  4  1  1  1  3  0 Cavanaugh, 2b  1  0  0  0  1  1 cSmith  1  0  0  0  0  0 Young, 2b  2  1  0  1  2  0 Ward, p  0  0  0  1  0  0 Donelan, p  1  1  1  0  0  0 Lockwood, p  0  0  0  0  0  0 Emmons, p  0  0  0  0  0  0 Fitzpatrick, p  0  0  0  0  0  0 Greeley, ss  2  1  1  3  2  0   --  --  --  --  --  -- Totals  38  8  12  27  13  3

a Ran for Walsh in 4th

b Popped out for Wade in 9th

c Hit into force play for Cavanaugh in 4th (Yale box score below)

a Ran for Walsh in 4th

b Popped out for Wade in 9th