Conant Suggests Joint Parley for Europe's Defense

President Conant, in a radio talk Sunday night, called for a common global policy between the United States, Britain, and France in order to insure the adequate defense of Europe. The broadcast was the last in a series presented by the Committee on the present Danger which Conant heads.

He praised as a genuine step toward eventual disarmament and peace the shoring up of Western Europe's land defenses so that the Soviet Union could not overrun the Continent.

As a way of avoiding a global war without surrendering to Communism, Conant proposed the building up of Western Europe's land army. "Once this is done," he said, "the Soviet rulers may see the wisdom of exploring with candor proposals for disarmament."

Steps taken to strengthen European defense forces are, according to Conant, "steps away from a global war and towards the goal of peace." He said he believed Europe could be successfully defended, basing his judgment on the opinions of General Eisenhower and Dr. Vannevar Bush.

With the announcement of an atomic bomb explosion in Russia in September, 1949 "the whole world picture altered," Conant said. He predicted that Russia would soon have a stockpile of atomic bombs which would constitute a real military threat to industrial centers of other nations.