University to Consider Three-Year AB Degree

Officials to Ask Faculty Study Shortened Course; Reasons Are Draft, High College Cost

By Rudolph Kass

The Harvard of the future might introduce a special program leading to an A.B. degree in three years.

This term top University officials may ask the Faculty of Arts and Sciences to consider setting up a course plan that would permit a shortened term of study without sacrificing any educational objectives.

Last January President Conant recommended in his annual report that the University consider making such a switch. It would not be merely an acceleration program but a distinct change in the Harvard tradition of education.

Two new conditions have persuaded President Conant and the faculty to consider the change:

1. Anticipation of a long period of partial mobilization during which a young man will sooner or later have to spend at least two years with the armed forces.

2. Inflation which is making education increasingly more expensive.

Not Acceleration

This would not be acceleration which would merely shorten and compress the existing course program; it would probably involve many changes in the course setup itself. The idea of a three-year curriculum actually dates back to President Eliot.

In his report Conant said, "In Harvard College, it is relatively easy to schedule a satisfactory three-year program for the able students . . . ."

The problems now facing the American people could not have been imagined at that time. Therefore there is no reason why educational decisions made then apparently for all time should not be re-examined."

At the time Eliot made his recommendations, the length of professional education was a consideration. Conant pointed out that now more students than ever are going to graduate schools and that, given the high cost of education and the necessity of military service, the college is duty bound to at least look into the possibility of shortening higher education.