Quintet Falls to Dartmouth In Last Second of Overtime

By Jere Bron-kahn

Nestling all the way, the varsity basketball team, with four sophomores in its opening thorn in the Crimson's side, sank the winning shot as the buzzer sounded, ending the overtime and crushing the home fans' hopes for the varsity's first Eastern intercollegiate Basketball League victory.

After the Crimson missed a good chance to take the game in regulation time, it went ahead early in the overtime period on Dick Lionette's hook shot and later foul conversion 59 to 56. But the Indians pulled up to a point behind when Zack Boyages, an other old-time Crimson nemesis made a long set shot with three minutes to go.

Dartmouth hold possession of the ball for most of the rest of the period, but declined several foul shots to take the ball out of bounds for the two-pointer. Finally, with five seconds to go, they tied it once more, and Biggs cut across the key-hole to score the clincher on a one-handed shot.

The first half of the game was comparatively dull, with Dartmouth holding onto a five-point margin most of the time. In the third quarter, however, Bill Dennis cot hot sinking 11 of his 15 points, and the Crimson led, 49 to 45, at the end of the period. Lionette also scored five of his 17 points in this quarter.

Lionette, the only non-sophomore on the team which played most of the game, was joined by Dennis, Ed Blodnick, Ed Condon, and Ed Krinsky on the first five. But Blodnick fouled out early in the third period. His replacements, Captain John Stevenson and sophomore Bob Gremp, both rebounded well, but together could score only as many points as Blodnick.

With the Crimson's big man gone. Dartmouth out-scored the home team, 11 to 7, in the final period, to pull even. Then came the fatal overtime.

The summary: HARVARD (59)   G  F  P Blodnick, f  3  1  7 Stevenson  2  1  5 Dennis, f  6  3  15 Hansen  0  0  0 Lionette, c  6  5  17 Gremp  1  0  2 Krinsky, g  2  3  7 Hickey  0  0  0 Condon, g  2  2  6   22  15  59