Wrestlers Overcome Tufts, 23-11, For Fourth Straight

Varsity wrestlers handed Tufts a five-point gift on a forfeit, allowed the Jumbos to pile up an impressive early lead, and then scored four straight pins to win, 23 to 11, last night at the Blockhouse.

It was the fourth consecutive victory for Coach Bob Pickett's undefeated mat team.

The Jumbos surprised Crimson wrestlers where they are strongest--in the lighter weights. In the opening matches of the meet, they gained an 11 to 3 margin.

Eddle Bursk at 123 dropped a tough 3 to 1 decision, and the Crimson gave Tufts five points on a forfeit when illness prevented 120-pound Bud Adams from appearing.

Reliable Icko Iben won his fourth straight victory of the season with a 6 to 1 decision in the 127-pound class, but Larry Wilde, wrestling in his first varsity meet, dropped a 1 to 0 decision.

With the Jumbos in front by eight points, the Crimson came up with four quick pins, three of them in the first round. Chick Chandler at 157, who has developed into one of the best men on Pickett's squad, used a cradle hold to pin his opponent at 2:29.

Sophomore Tony Calmi, wrestling for the first time in varsity competition, put the Crimson in the lead by pinning at 2:47 with a body press, 177-pound Dave Morris continued the onslaught with a pin at 4:20, and heavyweight George Bates used a body press to pin his man at 2:12.

The mat team needs one more victory to assure a winning record in its nine-game schedule.