CCA Split On Atkinson, Will Settle Monday

Motion for Re-election Beaten Twice; Dearth of Successors Should Make Him Incumbent

The reconciliation among Cambridge Civic Association-sponsored city councillors over the re-election of City Manager John B. Atkinson failed to materialize in yesterday's City Council meeting, as a motion for an election was twice defeated on the floor. According to one C.C.A. councillor, however, the deadlock should be resolved by the next council meeting on Monday, and Atkinson will be re-elected then.

Despite the split within their ranks, the five C.C.A. councillors remained united against the four independents in voting down demands for an election.

The independents first move was by Councillor John J Foley, a long-time opponent of Atkinson, to take off the table a two-week old motion for election. When Foley called for a suspension of the rules and an immediate vote for the manager without debate, the C.C.A. majority abled the motion again, five to four.

Later, Councillor John D. Lynch, a non-C.C.A. man but pro-Atkinson, introduced a new motion to proceed to the election. C.C.A. Mayor Joseph A. De-Ouglielmo declared the new motion was out of order, however, and when Lynch appealed his decision, DeGuglielmo denied the appeal because it was not seconded.

Whether the C.C.A. split will actually be healed by next Monday seems doubtful, since there are still several councillors who would prefer another manager.