Yale Defeats Crimson Relay Teams; Berman Bows in 600

By George S. Abrams

Crimson Knights of Columbus entrants failed to produce up to expectation last Saturday, with only the freshman relay team performing well. Yale, in contrast, showed powerful mile and two mile foursomes, winning both events easily.

The Crimson's Ron Berman went all out to take the 600, but wound up a tired fifth. Berman opened up on the gun lap, but was passed by the field in the last 80 yards. George Rhoden, top Olympic prospect, eventually won, going away from Mal Whitfield in 1:12.1.

Bob Twitchell and freshman Herb Collins made the finals of the hurdles and dash respectively. Twitchell couldn't stay with Harrison Dillard, Meredith Gourdise, or Dartmouth's Pete McCreary, however. Collins was able to keep up with the dash field until the final ten yanis. He eventually finished a good fifth. Bob Rittenberg made the hurdle semifinals and both Twitchell and Bill Geick got into the semi-finals of the dash.

Mello Third in Vault

Bob Mello was the only Crimson track-man to get a place with a the for third in the pole vault. Mello's height was good enough for the place. Mellow would probably not have fared as well, but for the absence of pre-meet favorite Don Laz.

The relays were a disappointment, particularly the two mile contingent. Harvard up last behind Yale. Providence, and M.I.T. In the mile relay. Yale got off to a good lead and managed to Barmaff put on a strong finish to move the Crimson from third to second. Princeton, which fell lack to third, was trailed by the last place Dartmouth team.

Freshmen Win Over Yale

The freshmen provided a happier note as Al Howe ran a strong anchor leg to hold off Yale's Henry Thresher and win, going away by 30 yards.