Springfield Faces Quintet Saturday

After two weeks of inactivity, the varsity basketball team resumes competition when it meets Springfield College at 8 p.m. Saturday in the I.A.B. The Crimson, which has suffered three consecutive defeats in Eastern Intercollegiate Basketball League games, will be aiming for an even 5-5 won and-lost record.

Varsity Coach Norm Shepard intends to start the same team that lost to Dartmouth by only one point in the Crimson's last game. The quintet will include Dick Lionette at center with four sophomores around him. Ed Blodnick and Bill Dennis will start at the forwards with Ed Condon and Ed Krinsky at the guard spots.

Weak Competition

Springfield has won several more games than it has lost, but mainly because of the weak competition it has met in the local Massachusetts colleges. The Gymnast five is a fast-breaking, medium-height team, which uses a shifting man-to-man defense.

The tallest man among their starters is the center, Alan Schutts, at 6'2". The other four average about 6', though Larry McClements at left forward is only 5'7". Captain Jim Pelcher, the other forward, and Jim Hart and Bob Talbert at the guard positions round out the first five. Ed Redmond also frequently substitutes for either forward.