Marauding Mavericks

The Harvard Young Democratic Club has had a rather unhappy history. In 1948, for example, club members, after endorsing the Democratic slate, discovered that their president was a rabid Dewey supporter. Only after much bitterness and counter-charging was the Deweyite impeached. The HYDC quietly died following election day, and remained buried until last spring when some Democrats resurrected it.

No one expected anything unusual from the group. Its place among college organizations seemed obvious: it would support the Democratic nominee, whoever he be, and follow party policy to the letter. For president HYDC members elected a down-the-line Democrat; they elected a five-man voting executive board, and the president later appointed two other members without voting powers. Then trouble started. Two Texans on the executive board decided they could not support Stevenson.

There was no reason whatsoever that a group formed to back the Democratic party should allow a minority of Shivercrats to use either the group's name or funds. But this is just what happened. By rather devious means, the minority spent roughly $60 on a beer party, an advertisement, and a pamphlet disparaging the Democratic party.

Under the club's constitution, this was illegal. The constitution specifically states that money can be spent only "with the approval of the president." The president neither endorsed nor heard about the appropriation until the day of the beer party.

Last Friday's Governor Dever "kidnapping" was in the same shady category. Admittedly the incident was unusual and humorous. Bur by bluffing the Governor of Massachusetts in such a manner, the mavericks deprived Dever of the respect and courtesy associated with his position. Besides this, the fake Democrats cheated dues-paying members of their single opportunity to see and hear, the man they will work for in the campaign.

In both cases the mavericks have attempted to take over the Young Democrats' name and resources to the club's detriment. In their eagerness, they have ignored the more than 120 members who have willingly donated to the Democratic club because it stands for the Democratic Party's policies; they have slapped the members twice in the face by committing one illegal and another irresponsible art. The HYDC cannot supinely withdraw from these assaults. The clubs' officers at least should demand that these mavericks reimburse the club for the spent money and offer formal apologies to Governor Dever.