Jayvees Play Dean Academy, Hope for 2nd Straight Win

Coach Norm Shepard's triple-threat Crimson jayvee football squad will shoot for its second straight victory against Dean Academy at 3 p.m. today on the Junior Varsity field.

The single-wing, "T" formation, and extra-point elevens will be used again today, after scoring a 34 to 0 victory over Nichols Jr. College last Friday.

Shepard Knows as little about Dean Academy as he did about the Nichols squad. He had assumed that the Nichols team would use a single wing attack, as it did in 1951: Nichols used a balanced "T," but it made little difference, anyway.

The last time the Jayvees opposed Dean, they were beaten, 19 to 0, largely because of the efforts of a diminutive quarterback, who is no longer at the Academy.

The Crimson jayvees will open offensively with the "T" formation squad, which scored 12 points out of last week's 34-point total. Walt Greeley at quarterback, Pete Kenney and Bob Zuege at the halfback posts, and sophomore Bob Albert at fullback make up the starting backfield. Shepard will have Wally Bergman and Dave Silverman at the ends, Bill Maloney and Stan Pfahl in the tackle slots, Fred Horween and Tony Caimi at the guards, and Buz Vonderlage at center.

For the single wing squad, Paul Murphy and Frank White will be at wingback and tailback respectively.

Last week, the combination of Murphy and White netted the jayvees three touchdowns, with runs of 30 and seven yards by Murphy, and a 35-yard sprint by white. The other two scores came on Greeley aerials, both to halfback Dinny Finney.