Haines, Former Crew Coach, Is Still in Critical Condition

After suffering a bad heart attack Tuesday, Bert Haines, long-time Harvard 150 pound crew coach who retired last year, was still on the danger list in "serious condition" yesterday at the Mount Auburn Hospital.

Hospital authorities reported he was "a little worse" yesterday. Haines' physician, Dr. Charles F. Walcott, added, however, that his patient's temperature was normal for the first time. Haines is suffering "coronary thrombosis," which is an arterial blood elot that affects the muscles of the heart.

Still No Visitors

"He's not having a smooth course," Walost, said ad pointed out that Haines is already 72. "For anyone elderly the outlook is not" as good as for a younger man. . . you never know what's going to happen; he may pull through all right, or he may succumb."

Haines can still receive no visitors.

The former coach remained in his Belmont house from Tuesday until Thursday, when he was taken to the hospital in "critical condition" for treatment.

Haines retired last July after coaching Crimson crews for over 30 years. Ted Reynolds has replaced him temporarily--at least for the fall season.

The lightweights gave Haines a fine farewell last spring; the varsity lost only one race to Penn, while the J.V.'s rowed to an unbeaten season. The freshmen had a comparatively fair record.

Reynolds has stated that he will only coach for one term, so the H.A.A. is looking for another graduate student or a permanent lightweight coach.