Police May Block Democratic Rally

'Pressure' Applied, According to Lundi

By Ronald P. Kriss

Democratic plans for a large-scale political rally to be staged in Harvard Square Saturday afternoon may be squelched by Cambridge Police Chief Patrick F. Ready, the CRIMSON learned last night.

Ready, referring to proposals made by Dever-Kennedy headquarters for a demonstration at 12:05 Saturday afternoon, said, "I'm afraid that's not going to happen in Harvard Square. Not on the same afternoon as the Harvard-Dartmouth game."

The Police Chief said he would make his final decision today on whether he will issue a permit for the rally.

Ray Lundi, who schedules demonstrations for the Dever-Kennedy group, said last night, ". . . probably now some pressure has been brought to bear." Lund refused to amplify this statement. He claimed Ready ". . . was agreeable two days ago."

Ready Laughs

Lundi said Robert G. McCloskey, assistant professor of Government, and Samuel H. Beer, associate professor of Government, agreed to speak at the rally, and contracts were signed with numerous entertainers. Three bands, including the 52-piece Amvet assemblage, several Latin Quarter performers, singer Fred Hall, who is now at Boston's Showbar, and a long motorcade of "jalopies" were scheduled to appear.

When Ready was told of the tentative program, he laughed.

Last Monday night, Lundi decided to schedule the rally and began making arrangements for it. He asked the Harvard Young Democrats Club to assist him, and the group agreed to contract some speakers.

Requests Permit

He then spoke to Ready, who, according to Lundi, seemed ". . . quite willing to have a rally." At 3 p.m. yesterday, Lundi sent a letter to Ready requesting the necessary permit.

Lundi was surprised to learn that Ready might deny him the permit, and said, "There is no valid reason why, in a big campaign like this, Harvard Square can't be used just like any other place . . . We've gone through many big towns before and set up police cordons to keep things in line . . . Besides, a football afternoon in Harvard Square is the most propitious moment for a political rally."

Lundi said the rally would not interfere with the course of the Harvard Band. The Band marches through the Square and down Boylston Street, usually around 12:30, and it was suggested to Lundi that a mass political demonstration might throw the Band off its normal routs.

However, he said, ". . . the rally will take place Saturday afternoon, and the Band will be permitted to go through."