Vest Vital to Fat, Pocketless Men; Buttons Revived

By George S. Abrams, Erik Amfitheatrof, and Joy Willmunen

". . . but be it for buttons, many stomachs would tumble out." Thus wrote a perceptive London tailor in the year 1872. Eighty years ago men wore almost twice as many buttons as they do nowadays. But buttons are coming back in quantiay; sowed on the revival of the vest.

It's a pleasant thing to see vests selling for two bits, and they actually do in some places--not in Rangoon, but right in Filene's Basement. As the buying wave on vests increases, however, two bit vests are bound to become scarce.

The well-dressed college man buys his vests for considerably more, and buys considerably better vests. Plaid vests, graced with the old clans of Scotland, sold well last year, so much so that even plaid coats made a brief appearance in the Square.

The half-sweater, half-vest is a reasonably priced article. The front looks like an ordinary vest, usually set in a square pattern with quietly contrasting colors, but the back is woven elastic. As long as a coat is worn over the vest, no one is the wiser.

One vest-coat combination which often entails no expense whatsoever is a tuxedo vest worn with an ordinary sports coat and a black string or bow tie. The formal vest lends a distinctive dignity.

Returning Korea veterans may precipitate a buying spree on vests. According to latest Army ordinance reports frontline troops are wearing light but fantastically strong vests which are reported to be almost bulletproof.Frederick Gooding Jr., Charles E. Zeltin, and Robert T. Root. Models: Lois L. Ebelling '54, Betsy Ross '55, Rence Micheison '53, Mary Anne Goldsmith '55.Vests are both popular and practical. The headless gentleman in the picture wears his vest for Vanity's sake, but vest pockets are imminently useful for holding pencils, tickets, combs, thumbs and small flasks. Fat men and chilly men find vests vital to their wardrobes.