Conant and Stevenson Meet for Brief Parley

By Philip M. Cronin

Governor Adlai Stevenson yesterday paid an unscheduled visit to President Conant in Massachusetts Hall.

What transpired at the meeting and who invited whom was not clear. University officials said Stevenson indicated to them yesterday morning that he wished to meet Conant, and arrangements were made at the last minute.

But William Flanagan, Stevenson's press secretary, stated that he thought the invitation came from Conant. Both University officials and Flanagan, however, agreed that Conant and Stevenson conferred almost five minutes, but do not know what was said.

The meeting followed services attended by Stevenson in the First Unitarian Church.

Stevenson arrived at the church for the 11 a.m. service. Already, 2,000 had gathered on Massachusetts Avenue.

Reverend Wilburn K. Miller delivered a sermon entitled, "The High Hope of Adventure," in which he said "the death of religion comes with the repression of the high hope of adventure." He went on: "And egotism has no part in the great adventure. It is the humble and modest man who is the vanguard of those who would bring light and understanding to mankind."

Closed Gate

From the Church, Stevenson crossed the street through a passage-way cleared by state police. University police prematurely closed the gate after Stevenson entered the Yard, thereby locking out Stevenson's sister, Mrs. Ernest Ives, and his son, Borden Stevenson '55. They were admitted a few minutes later.

After the Conant conference, Stevenson's motorcade of three press buses, ten convertibles, and 16 state police motorcycles left for the Hotel Commander. About 1,000 people had gathered at the hotel's entrance before Stevenson arrived and the number increased greatly when the Square crowd moved with the Stevenson motorcade to the hotel.

All of Stevenson's party--but one--managed to get through the crowd in the hotel lobby. The one was Humphrey Bogart; who, with his wife. Lauren Bacall, is campaigning for Stevenson. Bogart was stopped at the entrance by the hotel manager, who said later he "didn't like his looks." After some hasty explanations, the manager conceded, and Bogart entered.

At a dinner given by Governor Paul A. Dever and Representative John F. Kennedy '40, Stevenson followed his policy of declining to make campaign speeches on Sundays--a pattern he continued the rest of the day. His only public words in Cambridge were to a radio reporter who requested a statement while Stevenson was eating. He obliged and said: "I'm not in a hurry to eat this pumpkin pie."

Stevenson them left for a tour of southern Massachusetts.