Ike Indicates He Sides With UMT Theory

General Dwight D. Eisenhower, in response to a question from the CRIMSON on his views on Universal Military Training, yesterday said he favors establishment of a civilian commission to review "the whole matter of military manpower."

Eisenhower said "military service is an obligation that every citizen owes his nation." The dilemma, he said, is that the military cannot discontinue its draft calls, and institute U.M.T. at the present time. The solution, he said, is to establish a commission to review "the policies that govern our whole military program" and "restudy the operations, functions, and acts of the Department of Defense."

No Direct Support

Eisenhower would not answer directly whether or not he supports Universal Military Training as such.

In response to a second question asked by the CRIMSON--on federal aid to education--Eisenhower said he favored federal aid "where the potential of local tax revenue is not enough to meet the standards."

But, he said, he contends "the cost of maintenance and of the actual business of teaching should be borne by the localities and state themselves."

Eisenhower, however, said he "favors federal contractual arrangements with schools and colleges for scientific research in the public interest. Federal support of this sort, and even certain types of fellowships and scholarships, do not, in my judgment, weaken local government or sap community enterprise."