Varsity Concentrates on Ground Attack in Drill Marred by Snow

Dick Clasby worked in a contact scrimmage for the first time this week as the varsity football team went through a long drill in a light snow and near-freezing temperatures yesterday at Soldiers Field.

Fullback John Culver and linebacker Bob Hardy both took light workouts, and watched the scrimmage from the sidelines.

The wet and cold combined to keep the offense working on the ground attack. With O'Neill resting and Culver practicing only lightly, two sophomores--quarterback Gerry Marsh and fullback George MacDonald--worked with tailback Dick Clasby and wingback John Ederer. The backfield concentrated on line-bucks and reverses, and Ederer and Clasby broke away for occasional long gains.

Box Attack

The defense saw the junior varsity squad operate from Davidson's rather complicated offense. The jayvee backs lined up in a T-formation, and then switched to the single wing or to Notre Dame's box attack--an offense very similar to the single wing.

In the box, the fullback and tailback line up almost directly behind the wingback and quarterback, slightly off to the right of the line. From this formation, the jayvees ran off a diversified sequence of buck-lateral, wingback reverse, and straight passing plays.