New Film Society Seeking Members At Other Colleges

Ivy Films has decided to open its new film society to students of all greater Boston colleges, Leroy Huntington '53, director of the program, announced last night.

Canvassing of Tufts, Boston University, M.I.T., Brandeis, Wellesley, Simmons, Northeastern, and other local colleges was begun last night and will continue throughout the week. Tickets at the College, however, will not go on sale until the latter part of this week.

The new society will attempt to show major steps in the development of the motion picture through actual movies representing important advancements.

Seventeen programs have been planned, with the first scheduled for November 14.

Huntington revealed that the controversial "Birth of a Nation" is scheduled for presentation November 21. The Boston licensing commission last year refused to grant permission for its public showing by the Boston Cinema Society on grounds allegedly that the picture was "prejudicial to race relationships," but no trouble is anticipated this year, according to Huntington.

Pictures starring Douglas Fairbanks, Charlie Chaplin, Rudolph Valentino, Harold Lloyd, Greta Garbo, W. C. Fields, and the Marx brothers are included on the Ivy Film society schedule.