Council Decisions Prefer Retaining Attendance Tabs

Serapping four earlier proposals, the Student Council last night voted that the University continue keeping attendance records for both sophomores and freshmen, and that those records be available to the Senior Tutors at University Hall.

Richard E. Johnson '53, president of the Council, commented after the meeting, "Dean Leighton is in basic agreement with the resolution we wrote tonight." Leighton is scheduled to present the records issue to the Faculty.

Group Rejects

The Council rejected proposals that,

1) No record be kept of sophomore attendance.

2) Sophomores and freshmen be segregated with respect to their class.

3) Sophomores on probation be assigned seats, with the assignments posted to the public.

4) Sophomores on probation be assigned seats, with assignments unposted, but communicated privately to the students concerned. All four were passed in a straw vote last week, 7-3-1, 7-3-1, 5-2-4, 8-0-3.

Along with the major resolution, the Council retained the proposal that students should be responsible for sending medical excuses along to their instructors. Last week the Council passed that proposal 9-1-1.

The final decision on these issues will not be announced until after October 21.

Joseph H. Soble '54 proposed that Lamont Library not impose fines before 9:15 a.m., amending the current deadline. The proposal passed 7-3-0.

The appointment of Kirby L. C. Von Kessler '54 to the Council as chairman of the International Activities Committee was on the agenda, but had to be postponed because of the absence of more than a third of the Council members.