Elephants Take Over League Lead With 7-0 Win Over Gold Coasters

A hard-driving ex-varsity player dashed all Adams House hopes for the football league championship yesterday as Eliot edged the Gold Coasters 7 to 0.

Elephant fullback John MacNamara, varsity halfback in 1951, sliced off tackle to the Adams eleven after a poor Gold Coast punt had gone out of bounds on the 20 late in the third period. Two plays later he cut inside guard down to the four. He scored from the one after a successful jump-pass from Steven Kurzman to Sumner White. MacNamara converted on a second off-tackle smash.

For the rest of the game a stout Adams defense held the highly favored Elephants in check. Guard Bob Picard and line backer Captain Gus Vlahos held up the center of the Gold Coast line, while quarterback Jack King and Hal Levy stood out in the secondary.

Fred Rhinelander turned in three long runs for Eliot, the last one being called back on a penalty after he had zig-zagged forty yards to the Adams 30. Luke Lockwood and Dean Howells were defensive stalwarts for the Elephants.

The Adams touch team downed Eliot 24 to 6. Kirkland shout out Leverett 2 to 0 in soccer.