Bar President Discloses Attempt To Counteract Anti-McCarthy Aid

The President of the Massachusetts Bar Association, Samuel P. Sears '17, revealed yesterday that he had attempted to start a protest fund drive to aid in the election of Senator Joseph R. McCarthy (R-Wis.).

"When I learned of the anti-McCarthy fund drive, I chased the Senator all over Wisconsin trying to reach him because I wanted to start a fund drive in his behalf," Sears said in an interview with the CRIMSON yesterday.

"I feel that attempts to defeat Senator McCarthy are ill-advised and that the three Harvard professors were barking up the wrong tree in trying to help defeat him," Sears continued.

"There would undoubtedly be 200 more Communists in the government if it weren't for McCarthy. The Senator has done a great job and will continue to do so.... He won't sleep on the job," he said.

The Bar Association head did say that he felt McCarthy had gone "too far in his methods on occasions." But he hastened to add that the loss of McCarthy to the United States Senate would have been a "blow to the welfare of the United States."

When contacted last night, Mark DeWolfe Howe '28, professor of Law and one of the sponsors of the Civil Liberties Appeal, pointed out, "Sears has expressed similar far-right opinions before. I'm not surprised in the least that he should take this position. He evidently feels that faculty members should not express opinions on such matters. Needless to say, I cannot agree with him."

The other sponsors of the drive could not be reached last night.