Early Scores Give Crimson 5-4 Win Over Bruin Booters

Bruce Munro's varsity soccer team booted in more goals against Brown Saturday than against any other opponent this season. They needed every one to subdue the Bruins 5 to 4 before a partisan homecoming crowd of 1500 at Providence.

The Crimson got off to a quick 3 to 0 lead as Johnny Beer, Frank Davies, and George Baker each scored in the first 13 minutes in an aggressive display of good teamwork. Baker pumped in his goal from 30 feet out, catching the Bruin goalie, Joe Tauro, off guard, after one of his fullbacks had apparently cleared the ball. The ball was still rising when it entered the cage about a foot below the top bar. This first period showed the best Crimson passing attack of the season to date.

Jim Vreeland, Brown's regular center half who was playing center forward today, got the first of his two goals at 6:45 of the second period. Pete Briggs, starting Crimson goalie, lost sight of the ball against the background of the crowd as halfback Barry Lougee kicked it in from the sidelines, so he was poorly positioned when Vreeland put it past him seconds later after a minor skirmish in front of the goal.

Steve Joyce scored the Crimson's fourth goal five minutes later. All alone at the right of the cage, Joyce waited for goalie Tauro to commit himself and then shot a slow roller into the far corner, making the score 4 to 1 at halftime. With six minutes gone in the third period, Vreeland scored his second goal, drawing Brown to within two goals, but Berk Johnson countered shortly after to give the Crimson a seemingly comfortable 5 to 2 margin.

Crimson Collapses

But then the team fell apart. In the closing minute of the third period Ceby Habersky, Brown's center half, got off a hard shot from about 15 feet out, but Crimson goalie Roger Taylor deflected it to his left out of play. With only two minutes gone in the final quarter, Taylor made a sensational diving save, taking the ball almost off Habersky's toe. But he couldn't hang onto the ball and Mike Lawrence kicked it in while he was still on the ground.

Though constantly threatening, Brown didn't score again until 19:40. Chuck Merriam, Brown wing, put one over Briggs' head, making it 5 to 4. The clock ran out before either team could gain control of the ball again.

Charlie Platt and Lou Tiger shared the left fullback position.