AF of L Says Houses Short Of Employees

Scarcity of Dining Hall employees is forcing the College to pay more overtime wages than ever before, a spokesman for the American Federation of Labor said yesterday.

A representative of the Union Dining halls local to which those working in Harvard's Dining Halls belong, he said labor in this line has become scarce. "Wages at Harvard are good," he added, "better than at many hotels. But we don't have enough people to fill the hobs."

Meanwhile, William A. Heaman, manager of the Dining Halls Department, said yesterday, "This man has no right to speak for the University." But Heaman would not disclose figures on the number of people employed at the College's eating places.

Earlier, Gladys M. Fales of the Student Employment Office said more students are now employed in the Houses than in previous years. From 1950-51 to last year, the number of students working in the Dining Halls increased by over 100. This year, the number has further increased.

According to the A.F.L. representative, the number of employees at the College Dining Halls between 1938-52 has declined considerably. "Years ago, they had table service," he said. "I don't know what the exact figures are for last year and this. You'll have to find that out from Harvard. But they're paying more overtime than ever before."