India Editors Tell of Election Effects

American election returns caused wide spread disappointment among India's newspapers, two Indian journalists said yesterday.

P.B. Srinivason, editor of the Bagalore "Tainadu," and Binod U. Rao, director of Information and Public Relations of Hyderabad Province, attributed the disappointment to economic reasons. Srinivason has been in this country for two months, brought over by a Smith-Mundt grant from the State Department, while Rao is financing his American visit out of his own pocket.

Both agreed that India was concerned not so much over Eisenhower's victory as it was about the prospect of a Republican Congress. 'India looked forward to a Democratic victory there," said Rao.

A big reason for this, according to the two journalists. Was India's desire for a continuance of the loans and technical assistance given by the present administration.

"There is a friendly feeling between American technical experts and the people with whom they work," said Rao. Srinivason added that his country would welcome the opportunity to train more technicians in the United States.

Besides this, India will be especially sorry to lose Ambassador Chester Bowles. "Bowles has completely changed us by his sympathetic attitude and personal magnetism," said Srinivason.

About India's relation with china to the east and Russia to the west, both agreed that opinion in India was not hostile to these countries.

"India and Chine are ancient friends, said Rao," and India has nothing against the government of China."

Although there is no actual anti-Eussian feeling in India, Srinivason painted cut that Indians opposed the violent activity of the local Communists. He quoted Prime Minister Pandit Nehru who had previously declared India objects to the way Communists operate not their principles.

This is the first visit to America for both Rao and Srinivason, but neither were surprised by anything they had observed in this country, with the exception of the Republican landslide. However, they found that Americans know very little about India, much less than Indians know about American.