'56 Plans Survey Of Library Issue

A committee of five will begin immediate investigation of the freshman study problem. Chosen by the Union Committee last night, the new group will study possibilities both for extension of Lamont hours and the use of House libraries by freshmen.

Earlier, Dr. David M. Little '17, Master of Adams House, stated in regard to use of the Adams library by freshmen that he was "not unsympathetic" to the needs of the freshmen, but that the library was primarily for House members use.

No Action

George W. Smith Jr. '56, chairman of the investigation committee, said shortly after his appointment that his group will meet soon with Lamont officials and find out the exact cost of proposed extensions. He emphasized that his committee will take no action other than investigation, and that only the Union Committee will finally act on the matter.

Four Yard proctors contacted last night were cool towards the proposal. All agreed that additional hours on Sunday and weekday evenings would be desirable and that present crowded conditions in the Yard made study in the rooms difficult, but would not unequivocally call the added hours practical.