Eliot Nips Berkeley 19-0 For House-College Title

Eliot fullback John McNamara smashed through the Berkeley College defense for three touchdowns yesterday as the Elephants won their second House-College title in three years, 19 to 0.

Leverett House topped Timothy Dwight, 18 to 0, for the only other Crimson victory in the House games. Winthrop salvaged a tie from Davenport, but the Yalies won the other five games.

Dunster tied Pierson, 6 to 6, for the touch football title and Yale's Branford College defeated Lowell House, 1 to 0, for the soccer championship.

A crowd of over 800 watched McNamara's three scoring jaunts. The lighter Berkeley team threatened only once in the entire game and the outcome was never in doubt.

McNamara took a handoff from quarterback Steve Kurzman early in the second period and sliced off his left tackle for the initial score. Yale muffed the ensuing kickoff and only got up to the six. The Eliot line held for three downs, forcing Berkeley to kick, the Elephants taking over on the 35. Two plays later McNamara drove off his right tackle and went into the end zone standing up.

In the closing minutes of the half, Berkeley quarterback Tom Neff passed to Ron Bush who had sneaked behind Eliot safety man Fred Rhinelander. Bush sped 65 yards to the 15 before Rhinelander caught him.

Leverett 18, Timothy Dwight 0

Quarterback Bucky O'Connor led the Bunnies with two touchdowns. John Bagdasarian scored the other on a last period end sweep from the 20. Bunny ends Buz Smyth and Al Glazerman sparked the team both offensively and defensively.

Winthrop 7, Davenport 7

Puritan halfback Norm Hall took a pitchout from quarterback Frank Scanlon late in the third period and swept around right end for 30 yards and a touchdown. Davenport's Bob O'Connell got the Yale score on a five yard sweep around left end with 40 seconds left in the first half. Winthrop was a definite underdog going into the game.

Branford 7, Dunster 6

Jack Brophy and Ron Peyton combined on a 78-yard touchdown play in the first period. Brophy tossed to Peyton who took it on the 45 and Peyton scampered untouched into the end zone. Branford, runner-up for the Yale title, scored after a pass interception on the Dunster ten.

Calhoun 7, Kirkland 0

Tom Schwartz passed to George Lewis from the 20 for the Calhoun touchdown. Larry Alpert and don Brennan stood out for Kirkland.

Saybrook 13, Adams 7

Saybrook's Bill Berkeley passed for two touchdowns, but got an assist from Adams' Jack King on one. With the score Adams 7, Saybrook 6, and 35 seconds left in the game, Berkeley passed into the end zone. King, trying to break up the play, batted the ball into the hands of Saybrook's Zab Zabrowski who made a sensational juggling catch. King scored the Adams touchdown on a 15-yard run. Tom Crump turned in a circus catch of a 30-yard King pass in the second period. Leaping high in the air, Crump knocked the ball from the hands of a Saybrook defender, and gathered it in while falling to the ground.

Jonathan Edwards 47, Dudley 7

Jerry Ralph, Bill Wilson, and Roger Robbins each scored twice for Jonathan Edwards and Bill Swett scored once. Swett stole the ball in the Dudley backfield and ran 30 yards for his score. George Donovan scored the Dudley touchdown on a 15-yard off-tackle smash in the first period.

Pierson 7, Lowell 0

Pierson's Charlie Van Doren bucked over from the three and Phil Herzman converted in the third period. Rip Muss, Thorley Briggs, Ian Cadenhead, and Carl Gerdau were Lowell's standouts.