New Handsome Dan Makes Debut In Today's Contest

Handsome Dan VII had the makings of the greatest mascot in Yale's history when he first entered the Eli football picture in the fall of 1950. But he proved a colossal failure.

Not that he was unlucky--he never saw Yale lose to Harvard--but there were other things.

Of all the Bulldogs representing the thousands of sons of Eli, the seventh in the line of Dans had the most distinguished air, the sturdiest back, and the longest pedigree. And as a pup he was well behaved, friendly to both Yalies and opponents.

As Dan grew in age, however, his temperament began to change. In his first year as Yale mascot, he grew from a friendly canine to a staunch Eli rooter who would stop at nothing to get at players and cheerleaders from opposing teams. At first everyone thought Dan amusing when he snapped, bit, and clawed at Tiger and Puritan alike. But then came a serious turn. Dan suddenly discovered that he didn't really like the sons of Eli so much as he had thought.

Soon several Yale players and three cheerleaders were nursing wounds ranging from trivial to serious. When the head cheerleader fell victim to the suddenly savage dog, it was decided something must be done. And it was Handsome Dan VII has now gone the way of his six precedessors, although he alone can claim the distinction of being have untarily retired.

Today, Handsome Dan VIII takes the field for the Eli's 9th game of the year. It is generally agreed that he has proved an immense success. He seems to have brought tht Blue a considerable amount of luck--and even more, he's friendly.

Yale's mascot tradition started officially in 1890, when freshman Andrew R. Graves '92 brought a great favorite to Yale men and soon was an intricate part of the football game color.

When Graves graduated, Dan stayed on. He became Handsome Dan and the Elies became the Bulldogs. Dan died of natural causes in 1898 and was rewarded for his loyal service by being stuffed and placed in a glass case in Yale's Payne Whitney Gymnasium.

A week before the Harvard game in 1932, energetic 'Poonies made off with a new mascot and soon pictures of Handsome Dan II licking the feet of John Harvard were moving over the national wire services. There was never any question from that day on that a new "unjinxed" mascot must be found.

Handsome Dan III, a huge white animal, was presented to the Yale coach at the beginning of the next season. But, alas, he proved hopelessly inadequate. He was afraid of crowds and shrinked from his Saturday afternoon duties.

Dan IV lasted a full year. Unfortunately, the following year he had a run in with a car and died of "a serious Paralysis of posterior extremous" at a local canine hospital.

One of the longest lasting was Dan V. who successfully performed his duties from 1939 to 1946, when he died of old age.

The fast, strenuous existence of a Yale, be it man or dog, proved too much for Dan VI, who died of a heart attack while vacationing in Florida. He had lasted only one year at the stremous pace.

Then came the ferocious, just lamented mascot and last in line is today's regal beast.

When Handsome Dan VIII takes the field, he will carry a long tradition of Eli mascot on his broad back. Yet even now, Eli cheer leaders are said to be predicting his early demise. It is said that he is developing a serious set of ulcers