DeGuglielmo Hits Order to Praise Student Behavior

Mayor Joseph A. DeGuglielmo '24 called Councilman Edward J. Sullivan's proposal to praise University students' conduct on Friday night "a sarcastic gesture" yesterday, but Sullivan's order was adopted by an 8 to 1 vote of the council.

DeGuglielmo told the council, "A Harvard student does not need to be commended when he does something right. He is expected to act correctly.

After the meeting Sullivan charged that DeGuglielmo objected because "he is a Harvard grad. He thinks Harvard men can do no wrong. I have proven that they can do wrong, and now when they do right they should be praised."

When presenting the order to the council, Sullivan said, "I have been called a turncoat for introducing this order, but I believe in giving credit where credit is due." Sullivan, frequent attacker of University students in council meetings, did not say who had called him a turncoat.

"I don't know why they behaved so well," he continued. "Maybe the faculty got them together in a body Friday afternoon and told them to be good boys."

DeGuglielmo said after the meeting that he did not know for sure what would come of the order. "It will probably end up in the wastebasket," he said.