Red Probe to Hit University in '53

The House Un-American Activities Committee will investigate alleged Communist influence at the University sometime after January 20th, Committee chairman Harold Velde (R. III) revealed yesterday.

In a telephone interview with the CRIMSON, Velde said the committee will "more than likely" call people from Harvard to the witness stand as part of its extensive probe into Communist infiltration in American education.

"Whether the committee will come to the college or bring people to Washington depends on how many witnesses we have and how expensive the investigation will be," Velde said. "We won't know our exact timetable and procedure until our committee reorganizes at the start of the next session of Congress."

Explaining the Committee's new emphasis on educational institutions, Velde said "education is a field that has been largely untouched by investigation committees. Recent testimony has shown the extent of the Communist danger in the educational field, and what great inroads the Communists have made."

Velde pointed to the testimony of Dr. Bella V. Dodds, former Communist teacher, last September that there were over 1,500 Communists in American schools, and organized party units of faculty members at Harvard, Smith, MIT, Wellesley, Vassar, and Columbia.

Disproportionate Influence

Dr. Dodds claimed that they have influence far beyond their numerical proportion.

Besides faculty investigations, Velde said his Committee would try to find out "why Red-front student groups are still tolerated by University officials."

"For example," said Velde, "there are still many chapters of the Labor Youth League, which is the successor to the Red-front American Youth for Democracy, declared subversive by the Attorney-General three years ago."

The University's chapter of the AYD existed from 1948 to 1950. After its demise, no Labor Youth League chapter was formed.