YP's Still Looking for Advisor, but Will Not Have to Lose Status

Six weeks after securing University recognition, the Young Progressives still have failed to secure the two required faculty or alumni advisors, president Nicolai Cikovsky '55 admitted last night.

At the same time, Dean Watson reiterated his stand of last October 17 that "if the Young Progressives act in good faith and make a concerted effort to get advisers, the Faculty Committee on Undergraduate Activities will certainly not suspend their charter."

Watson is secretary of the Faculty Committee.

Cikovsky said the Y.P.'s had contacted four professors, "and intend to see three more." Of those approached already, three declined outright, while one withheld his decision until he reads the Y.P. constitution.

In March, the Y.P.'s tried to persuade Kirtley F. Mather, professor of Geology, and Henry J. Cadbury, Hellis Professor of Divinity, to endorse the group, both refused.

Yesterday, Mather repeated he would only advise the Y.P.'s if the University asks him. "I see no reason why I should stick out my neck and not have the University behind me," he said. According to Watson, it is contrary to University policy to make such a request. Cadbury, who advises the Students for Non-Violent Action, declined "for lack of sufficient time.